Monday, July 28, 2014

To Beta or Not To Beta: Waiting to Meet My Destiny


I popped on to the Destiny Beta long enough to make sure the "B" button worked.  I'm not really sure how far I got into the Beta, just enough to see other randoms walking about.  I did a quick look to see if I could find friends, but I think Xbox Live was feeling disagreeable and I wasn't able to join a party.  Or maybe it was the ghost of Titanfall that pulled me away.  I turned it off and decided I would wait until September 9 or somewhen thereabout to see what's all the ado.  I know Destiny will make its way to my Xbox One.

Issues of the pro-Sony treatment aside, I was reluctant to jump into the Destiny Beta and I'm not completely sure why.  I remember in the day thinking that Crackdown was a just a perk of my $60 Halo 3 Beta key.  Or that I couldn't wait to jump in my titan and wreak havoc on the puny pilots beneath my feet.

What I saw in that brief period with Destiny was something that felt different.  Certainly it was a bit confusing knowing what was happening, what everything meant.  I relish those moments of playing something new, getting acquainted with a new HUD or controls.  I like the familiarity of the controls too, knowing that RT would shoot and "B" button would, well... "B" button.

I've only a vague idea about what Destiny is.  I have not MMO'ed, but I think the idea of a persistent environment is enticing.  The one thing that will make Halo 2 always hold a special place in my gaming heart was the community it created.  And while MMOs are not new to PC users, as a largely console resident, I'm champing on the bit with the thought that the games I play can have a larger context beyond that moment in time where I shoot the other team until I'm shot, respawn and repeat -- no offense, Titanfall.

In those few minutes I was in Destiny, there was something beautiful about the depth the game appeared to offer.  And for that, I guess I want to see and play and experience the whole thing as it's meant to be seen, played, and experienced.  I don't know how much I'll get to play of Destiny when it does come out.  Maybe I'll regret not having a PS4.  What I do know is that I have a hope for Destiny that it will be the first true next-generation game and that the wait will finally be over.

No comments:

Post a Comment