Saturday, January 18, 2014

I Know Kung Fu?

I understand the complaints with Ryse. While pretty, the gameplay could be seen as repetitive. The story is every gladiator movie after... well... Gladiator. The microtransactions for co-op armor suits and purchase of "gold currency" to upgrade executions is a woeful reminder of where games are heading. It is not a system seller nor kid friendly. It is good fun.


In fact, it has been my go-to game on the Xbox One. I have logged lots of miles in Forza, especially with the challenges, and Battlefield 4 should provide a multiplayer outlet until Titanfall if not Plants v. Zombies. Ryse has been the most entertaining and satisfying experience from the launch lineup.


Yes, the dialgoue can be trite and overwrought, but who doesn't like that? I loved 300 and was pleasantly surprised at the Starz Spartacus series. In embracing the over-the-top spectacle of Rome and its bloodthirsty masses, if I view the material seriously, then perhaps that's the wrong starting point. If I find myself asking others whether they're not entertained.. ARE THEY NOT ENTERTAINED?!?! <<spit and throw sword disgustedly toward the blood-soaked earth>>, then I'm in a much happier place.


Yes, the executions are quick time events. Yes, they do not overly penalize you for missing the event. Yes, that's perfect. So I was most skeptical with Ryse when first debuted at E3 (I think) and the executions were repeated QTEs with a big blue "X" on the screen, followed by an equally big yellow "Y," leaving one to ask the same. Thankfully, that system was replaced. Executions go into "bullet time" and instead of the button prompts on-screen, the outline of the soon-to-be-departed/dismembered/disemboweled flashes blue or yellow. The executions, when known, use the same sequential pattern depending on position and numbers of hits.


So the consequence of missing the QTE is the lack of a bonus. Bonuses range from health regeneration, XP increase, focus increase, and damage increase (?). I found on a second playthrough, that the bonuses can actually mean a lot, especially the health regeneration. The execution is still performed when I miss and after repeated cut-scenes of Unchartered for missed QTEs, I'm fine with that. Especially given the number of exeuctions actually performed in the game. Make no mistake, there's a lot killing going on.


As to the gameplay itself, working through campaign is largely a combination of X and Y to attack enemies. Rinse and repeat until the baddies' health is low enough for the execution QTE. There is a block, dodge and heavy attack also in the arsenal and at times, with as many enemies as one can face, there's a fair bit of challenge.


The criticism leveled against the campaign rests largely with the "monotony" of similar enemies, wave after wave. Same appearances, same attacks. Fair I suppose. What it makes me think of though is a next gen Kung Fu. While we should expect some advancement from some thirty years ago, to recreate that feeling of fun, I suggest is more important. Though gruesome, there is some enjoyment when you get to the bullet time executions. At times, it serves as relief from the onslaught of rushing attackers. At others, it serves the "I need this bonus." Despite knowing what the combinations often are, the timing and tension of perfectly executing does excite and most importantly entertains.


I enjoyed Ryse and continue to play it. I look forward even more to a sequel. Perhaps it's not a reason to get an Xbox One, but if you have an Xbox One, you should play Ryse with no hesitation.

No comments:

Post a Comment